Chafee Nomad Laptop Carts
There are two NOMAD laptop carts located in the Chafee Building. One cart can be checked out by faculty from Chafee 217. The second cart is located in Chafee Room 141.
The Chafee 141 laptop cart has 30 machines. The use of this cart is limited to faculty scheduled in Chafee 141. For more information about this room, please see the Chafee 141 wiki page.
The second Chafee laptop cart is checked out through Chafee 217 and can be used in any of the second floor rooms. This cart contains 30 laptops. 16 are located on one side of the cart while the other 14 are located on the opposite side. The specified information below pertains to the Chafee 213 cart only.
There is another laptop cart, the Chafee 208 Mac laptop cart, that is available for use by specified students and faculty within Chafee who plan to do film editing, as these machines are equipped with software expressly for that purpose. This cart is also used when Chafee staff members host short courses for faculty and staff on such topics as podcasting and proper use of Sakai.
Before moving the cart, move the switch on the side of the cart to OFF (the middle position.) After moving the cart, plug the cart back into a wall outlet and move the switch on the side of the cart to INTERNAL POWER. When distributing laptops, disconnect each laptop from its power cord. When finished using the laptops, return them to their corresponding shelf in the cart and reconnect their power cord.
The 208 Mac Laptop cart must also be plugged in for the laptops to charge. However, there is no switch to power on or off. Simply plug the cart in, and as long as the laptops are properly hooked up to their chargers inside the cart, the machines will charge as needed.
For NOMAD cart laptops:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2520M Processor
Dell Latitude E6520
4GB of RAM
For 208 cart laptops:
Processor: Intel Core i7
Apple Macbook Pro, 17-inch, Mid 2010
4GB of RAM
Operating Systems & Software
For the NOMAD carts
OS: Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)
- Adobe Flash Player - 11.8
- Adobe Reader - 11.0.03
- CutePDF Writer - 2.8
- Dragon Naturally Speaking - 11
- Firefox - 23.0.1
- iTunes - 11.0.5
- Java RunTime Environment - 7 - Update 25
- Mathematica - 9.0.1
- McAfee AntiVirus
- Microsoft Office Professional 2013
- Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime for Dragon Naturally Speaking - 11.5
- QuickTime - 7.4.4
- 7Zip - 9.2
- Microsoft Silverlight
- SAS - 9.2
- SPSS - 21
- Turning Point - 2008
- Windows Interactive Speech Codec Package - 3.6
- Windows Internet Explorer - 10
- Windows Media Player - 11
For the 208 cart - note that each machine can be booted for use with a Mac operating system as well as a Windows operating system.
Mac side OS: Mac OS X 10.7
Mac side Installed Software:
- Address Book
- Adobe, Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro, Adobe Acrobat X Pro, Adobe After Effects CS6, Adobe Audition CS6, Adobe Bridge CS6, Adobe Dreamweaver CS6, Adobe Encore CS6, Adobe Extension Manager CS6, Adobe Fireworks CS6, Adobe Flash CS6, Adobe Illustrator CS6, Adobe In-Design CS6, Adobe Media Encoder CS6, Adobe Media Player, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Prelude CS6, Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, Adobe Reader 9, Adobe SpeedGrade CS6, Adobe Story
- App Store
- IBM SPSS 19
- iCal, iChat, iDvd, iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb, iWork 09
- Image Capture
- Microsoft Communicator, Microsoft Messenger, Microsoft Office 2011
- QuickTime Player
- Remote Desktop Connection
- SMART Technologies
- Time Machine
- TurningPoint Anywhere
Windows side OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Windows side Installed Software:
- 7-zip 9.20
- Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, Adobe AIR, Adobe Community Help, Adobe Contribute CS5, Adobe Flash Player II Active X, Adobe Flash Player II Plugin, Adobe Media Player, Adobe Reader XI (11.0.03)
- Apple Application Support
- Apple Mobile Device Support
- Apple Software Update
- Audacity 2.0
- Camtasia Studio 7
- Hot Potatoes v 22.214.171.124
- McAfee Antivirus
- NVIDIA Drivers
- R for Windows 2.15.1
- Realtek HD Audio Drivers
- Respondus 4.0 Campus-Wide, Respondus Equation Editor 4
- SAS 9.2
- SMART Technologies
- Snagit 10
- StudyMate Author Campus-Wide
- TurningKey, TurningPoint2008, TurningPoint Anywhere 2008
- WinRAR 4.20
- Wolfram Mathematica 8
Faculty requests for software installations on these laptops must be made 4 weeks prior to the start of each semester. Software will not be installed during the semester because of possible compatibility issues with other programs.
All NOMAD cart laptops, as well as the 208 cart, are protected with the Deep Freeze application. Deep Freeze restores a clean disk image each time the machine is restarted. This allows a user to make TEMPORARY changes to one of the laptops (including adding or removing programs). Any documents or other files saved to the computer or software installed will be deleted upon restart.
Infrequently, a computer will prompt the user for a username and password at log-in. If this occurs simply restart the computer by holding down the power button.
The operating system and anti-virus software on these laptops is updated once per week. If you receive a message to conduct an update, simply select cancel or ignore.