Classroom Media Assistance Service Catalog

From ITS Wiki - Information Technology Services - University of Rhode Island

Jump to: navigation, search

This information is for the Kingston Campus Classroom Media Assistance Centers only.

Classroom Equipment Check-out Centers

There are three check-out centers for classroom media equipment on the Kingston Campus.

  • If you are using equipment in Swan Hall, please reserve equipment through the Swan Hall CMA Center. Equipment will be picked up and returned in 301 Swan.

  • If you are using equipment in Chafee Building, please reserve equipment through the Chafee CMA Center. Equipment will be picked up and returned in 217 Chafee except in cases of returns after 4:30 pm. After 4:30 pm, equipment will be returned to the Library (LL4) or, with advance notice, arrangements can be made to leave the equipment in an alternate locked location.

  • If you are using equipment anywhere else on campus, please reserve equipment through the Library CMA Center. Equipment will be picked up and returned to LL4 (the computer lab on the lower level of the Library).

Equipment Loans to Faculty

Classroom Media Assistance provides equipment loans and training services for portable equipment to be used by faculty in URI classrooms. The inventory includes:

  • Portable data/video projectors (LCD)
  • Portable DVD/VHS players
  • Portable Mini-DV deck (available only to film production courses)
  • Portable speakers. If you need audio for a large classroom, you should request speakers. The majority of classrooms now have installed media systems with room speakers, please consult the wiki page for your specific classroom prior to checking out portable media.
  • Laptops for use in classrooms (both Windows and Macintosh platforms)
  • Portable sound system with handheld or lavalier microphone.
  • Video cameras
  • Laptop carts (available only in Chafee Building and Swan Hall)

Some equipment, such as the use of our specialized audio equipment for large events, requires the scheduling of a student media assistant for special events. In most cases, this will incur a $10.00 per hour fee. Requests for such as equipment and assistance must be made at least three business days in advance of the event by email to

Equipment Loans to Students

Classroom Media Assistance provides equipment rental and training services for portable equipment to be used by students from the Swan Hall Location. Some equipment is available only to fulfill assignments in Film production courses and some Communications courses.
The inventory includes:

  • Video cameras
  • Tripods for cameras
  • Lighting kits to assist in filming/photography (FLM students only)
  • Wireless microphones for audio capture during filming or dubbing(FLM students only)
  • Laptops for processing audio or video assignments for COM Studies courses
  • External hard drives for storing video projects (FLM students only)

In addition, the Film Studies department has eight Macintosh computers located in LL4 for video editing. These machines have Final Cut Pro (full version) installed. Students must bring a valid URI id and be registered for a Film Studies course to use these machines.

Policies for Student Use of Equipment

  • All equipment available to students can be checked out for no more than three days.
  • The policies for later returns are delineated in the articles covering that equipment ( General Student Equipment, Film Studies Student Equipment, Communication Studies Student Equipment).
  • Equipment loans can be extended if there are no intervening reservations. However, all equipment renewals must be made in person and the equipment must be returned to be rechecked out. This can not be done via the phone. Failure to renew in person triggers the penalties for late returns.

Installed Equipment

There is installed media equipment in all 109 general assignment classrooms.

In addition, each classroom has a transparency projector or digital document camera.

All general assignment classrooms, including auditoria, have multimedia (data/video) projectors installed as well as either a Bluray or standard DVD player. Some rooms also have installed VCR players.

A small number of rooms also have an installed computer. Rooms without a computer are provided with either a VGA cable to attach to a laptop, and in about 65 of the rooms, there is also an HDMI cable to attach to the new generation of laptops without VGA.

Faculty using Apple (Macintosh) computers will need to provide the appropriate converter to VGA or HDMI. If the faculty member does not have one, a limited number are available for loan from CMA's main office located in the large computer lab (LL4)on the lower floor of the Robert Carothers Library on the Kingston campus.

Classroom Media Assistance checks all rooms with installed equipment once per week to ensure the equipment is in working order. Should you encounter a problem please either call Classroom Media Assistance at 401-874-4278, or submit a problem report here.

Each general assignment classroom has a wiki page that lists the equipment, capacity and contact information for each room. These pages include directions for use of the equipment. Some have .pdf files so that the directions can be printed, while others have short training video clips.

Equipment Troubleshooting

Classroom Media Assistance (CMA) provides equipment troubleshooting during class on an “as needed” basis.

Classroom problems should be reported to 874-4278. When contacted, CMA will dispatch a student or staff technician immediately to the classroom (unless all student/staff techs are already out troubleshooting other locations). Actual response time will depend upon the location of the classroom and the distance that must be traversed from the closest CMA (Library, Quinn, or Chafee) location.

When calling CMA, please report the problem as fully as possible, so that the tech will bring the appropriate tools and back-up equipment if the problem cannot be solved on the spot. For example, if it is a projector problem be sure to report whether it is a multimedia or transparency projector, whether the bulb is blown, or whether it is in an audio problem, etc.

Some issues are too far-reaching for immediate repairs. In these cases, portable equipment, if available, will be furnished.

Environmental problems (such as missing clocks, broken windows or window shades missing) can be reported online at the Classroom Media Assistance - Report a Problem web page.

  • If the problem is in Swan Hall, faculty should call 874-4720. A student will be dispatched from 301 to provide troubleshooting assistance.

  • If the problem is in Chafee Building, faculty should call 874-2148. A student will be dispatched from Chafee 217 to provide troubleshooting assistance. If no other requests for assistance have been reported, response time will be relatively quick in these locations.

  • If the problem is in Ballentine Hall, faculty should call 874-4330. If there is no answer, send someone up to Ballentine 240A (office directly outside the Ballentine Computer Lab).

  • If the problem is in White Hall, faculty should call 874-5338. If there is no answer, then call the Central CMA number below.

  • Faculty experiencing equipment issues in all other general assignment classrooms should call Classroom Media Assistance in the lower level of the Carothers Library (LL4), 874-4278.

  • Whenever possible, equipment troubleshooting will begin on the phone. A student will be dispatched when it is clear that the problem cannot be resolved over the phone.

Equipment Delivery

Except in cases of faculty disability, Classroom Media Assistance does not deliver equipment to classrooms.

Special services for faculty with disabilities must be arranged one week in advance to guarantee sufficient staffing at the time the service is requested. This service must be requested by an email to the CMA Supervisor Mike Stewart,

Equipment Access

Access to installed media equipment is provided by Classroom Media Assistance. Please contact CMA by either phone (874-4278) or email ( CMA is located in the large computer lab (LL4)in the lower level of the Carothers Library on the Kingston Campus.

Access to media equipment may be through either electronic card readers for URI ID cards and/or locked media cabinets with key access. To request a key, contact CMA. Some keys will require attendance at a training session, faculty should inquire about about the requirements for each particular room.

Equipment Training

Classroom Media Assistance provides group training sessions the week before the start of each semester.

Faculty teaching in general assignment classrooms are notified by email of the session times for the rooms to which they have been assigned. If the course listing is "STAFF," CMA attempts to contact the department to ascertain the instructor for a course.

If you did not receive an email regarding training, it may be that you were assigned to the course in the course schedule after we built our mailing lists. Please contact us if this is the case.

Training sessions are available on an individual basis for special events during the semester.

Student Media Assistants (SMA)

Classroom Media Assistance can provide limited media support for either a one-time event or an entire course if scheduled into Edwards (or if the instructor needs physical assistance because of a disability).

This support is provided by a trained student technician. A minimum of two-weeks lead-time is required for all Student Media Assistant requests. Student Media Assistants can be requested at: SMA requests.

Room Checks

Classroom Media Assistance checks all general assignment rooms with installed equipment once per week to ensure the equipment is in working order.

Problem Follow-Up

Classroom problems reported by faculty and staff are followed-up by student technicians and/or staff depending upon the problem reported.

CMA staff will notify the reporting faculty/staff via email that the problem has been verified and will either coordinate the repair or escalate the issue to Facilities as necessary.

Classroom problems can be reported by phone (874-4278), by email ( or online using a short form that emails the issue to our Media & Technology Staff.

For more details about our services, see the wiki article on Classroom Media Assistance Service Level Agreements.