From ITS Wiki - Information Technology Services - University of Rhode Island
- 1 University Email
- 1.1 Zimbra Accounts
- 1.2 URI GOING GOOGLE
- 1.3 Student Email
- 1.4 Passwords
- 2 Spam & Abuse
- 3 Forwarding
- 4 Unsolicited Bulk Email
- 5 Email Clients
See the following page for up to date information on webmail and etal features: Email Features
URI GOING GOOGLE
URI is phasing out the Zimbra mail server. As of January 6,2015 all URI email is being delivered to your @uri.edu Google Apps for Education account. For more information about URI and Google Apps for Education, please visit our online guide.
The Zimbra server will still be available to access old email (unmigrated) or to migrate mail, contacts, and calendars until the end of August 2015. Please plan accordingly.
ETAL ID: Special Needs Accounts
The ETAL ID is a non-standard email and internet account for the following purposes:
- Departmental needs such as departmental email addresses, calendaring and document sharing
- Research collaboration
- Project collaboration
- URI organizations or student organizations (require a faculty/staff sponsor)
For more information on ETAL ID's and to request an account, go to the online ETAL ID Information and Request Form web page.
All students are given a my.uri.edu account. The address will be in the form of the user's e-campus username followed by @my.uri.edu. My.uri.edu accounts will be created upon payment of deposit and once a student is registered for classes.
Information regarding the student switch from mail.uri.edu accounts to my.uri.edu accounts can be found at https://sakai.uri.edu/access/content/public/my.uri.edu.pdf
Changing Your Google Apps for Education Account Password
If you wish to change your Google Apps for Education account password and know the current password, follow these directions:
- Open your Google Account
- Pull down the Settings menu at the far right (the icon looks like a gear)
- Select Settings
- Choose the Accounts and Import tab.
- In the list of options, choose "Google Account settings" at the top. This will open a new page
- Scroll down to "Password." Click on the date listed as the last time it was updated.
- This will open a new page, where you will be asked to put in your current password and then your new choice for a password.
Changing your Zimbra Account password
If you wish to change your current Zimbra password click on the Password Change link under the respective Mail or Etal Login Page link on the Email Logon for Faculty and Staff page. Or, you can click on the Change Password button in the General section of your Zimbra Web Interface Preferences. You will then be prompted for your current email password and the desired new password. (You will have to type your new password twice in order to ensure that no mistakes were made.)
Changing your my.uri.edu password
If you wish to change your current my.uri.edu password, log in to the account and click: Settings > Accounts > Google Account settings > Security > Change password. You will then be prompted to enter your User ID, Current Password, New Password and Confirm New Password. (You will have to type your new password twice in order to ensure that no mistakes were made.)
If you can call the Help Desk to have the passwords for the following accounts reset:
- @uri.edu (Google Apps for Education accounts for Faculty & Staff)
- @my.uri.edu (Student Google accounts)
- mail.uri.edu (Previous email accounts for most Faculty and Staff)
For etal.uri.edu accounts the account owner can request the password to be reset by filling out a Password Change Request Form
Google Apps for Education accounts were set to the user's birthdate as the default for initial login. Upon logging in for the first time, each user was prompted to change that password. If you have forgotten that password, please contact the Help Desk at 874-4357.
All students are given a my.uri.edu account. The address will be in the form of the user's e-campus username followed by @my.uri.edu. <b>By default, the password is set to the user's birth date in 8 digits (MMDDYYYY). For example, if a user was born on August 15, 1985, that user's default password would be "08151985." All students are advised to change their account passwords immediately after logging into the account because this email address is used to forward password changes to e-Campus accounts.
All staff, and faculty at URI are given an email account. The address will be in the form of the user's e-Campus username followed by @mail.uri.edu. By default, the password is set to the user's birth date in 8 digits (MMDDYYYY). For example, if a user was born on August 15, 1985, that user's default password would be "08151985." All staff and faculty are advised to change their account passwords immediately after logging into the account because this email address is used to forward password changes to e-Campus accounts.
- Passwords for etal will be chosen upon application for the account.
To apply for an etal account, please fill out an online ETAL ID Form.
Spam & Abuse
Not all URI email addresses can be forwarded.
- URI Google accounts (faculty and staff @uri.edu addresses) cannot be forwarded because these accounts must be FERPA compliant and FERPA compliance cannot be guaranteed outside the Google Apps for Education domain.
- Webmail can be forwarded to other accounts (URI or non-URI).
- Etal accounts can be forwarded to other accounts (URI or non-URI).
- Student my.uri.edu accounts can be forwarded via Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > 'Add a forwarding address'.
Unsolicited Bulk Email
Google Apps for Education provides an aggressive filtering option for unsolicited bulk email, such as mail from advertisers and non-subscribed mailing lists. Users of the @my.uri.edu (student) and @uri.edu (faculty and staff) account should occasionally check their spam folders to ensure that no URI correspondence has been trapped by the Google spam filter.
Client Filtering Options
The Google Mail web interface and most other email clients (Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail) are robust enough to include their own form of email filtering based on rules. These filters commonly can perform actions on email based on predefined rules. For more information, please refer to the Email Filters article.
The University of Rhode Island provides a basic online interface to access all URI email servers. More information can be found at Webmail article.
URI is currently in the process of switching its primary web interface from Webmail to Zimbra. WebMail is slated to go Offline on September 30th, 2011. To log into an account using Zimbra, simply type mail.uri.edu or etal.uri.edu into the URL line of your browser. More information can be found at Zimbra Overview article.
Email client server settings
- Incoming mail server: pop.gmail.com
- or for imap: imap.gmail.com
- Outgoing(smtp) mail server: smtp.gmail.com
- Incoming mail server: mail.uri.edu
- Outgoing(smtp) mail server: smtpserv.uri.edu
- Incoming mail server: etal.uri.edu
- Outgoing(smtp) mail server: etal.uri.edu
If you are trying to access your email from off campus, the outgoing(smtp) server should be changed to the smtp server of the carrier. Common internet providers in the URI area are Verizon and Cox.
- Cox outgoing: smtp.east.cox.net
- Verizon outgoing: smtp.verizon.net
- NOTE: Verizon's outgoing mail server requires authentication. You must authenticate with the username and password to the email account granted to all recipients of Verizon's internet service. This email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not know what your username and password is for that account, you must contact Verizon's technical support staff to retrieve it. Also, port 465 for outgoing mail, and make sure "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" is checked.
Rather than change settings between home and office, it may be more convenient to use the web interface via a browser. This does not require the use of a client. Otherwise, if outside the state of Rhode Island, consult the link below.
Changing your email, e-Campus, Sakai, username
Please contact the Help Desk if you wish to request a new e-Campus/email account. For up to date contact information and hours of operation see the main Help Desk Page.
Reverse DNS Lookup
Reverse DNS Lookup
POP3 / SMTP Resources